SUGAR COOKIES FOR THE FREEZER .... FREEZE THEM AT THE LOG STAGE, WRAP WELL AND PLACE THEM IN A FREEZER BAG.
• 1 cup butter
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a medium bowl, cream the butter with the white sugar and brown sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, mix in the nuts. Divide dough into 3 equal parts, shape each piece into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap logs in wax paper and chill for 3 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cut dough logs into 1/4 inch slices and place them on an unprepared cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until light brown.
Most cookie doughs freeze extremely well and can be kept frozen for up to 4 or 6 weeks. Use these tips for freezing:
•Double-wrap dough in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn and absorption of odours from your freezer
•Write the type of cookie dough and the date it was frozen on the outside of the package.
•When you are ready to bake, simply let the dough defrost in the refrigerator. This will take several hours, so plan ahead.